10 Ways You Can Master UX
Were you one of the thousands of people who tried to access the HealthCare.gov website in the first few weeks after it launched? Even if you weren’t on the site yourself, you probably heard all about users’ frustrations—confusing navigation, unclear information, and experiences so frustrating that users gave up entirely.
Don’t let serious issues like these be the reason you finally start paying attention to your site users’ experience.
The user experience (UX) can be boiled down to the communication between your website and the people who use it. An effective UX requires a specific understanding of what your clients need, what they value, and how savvy they are when it comes to web navigation. An incredibly cool website does little good if your site visitors can’t figure out how to get from one page to the next.
Every visitor to your website has a specific user experience. While every path is a little different, there are some great ways to tweak the user experience so that your visitors are getting the most from their time on your site.
A valuable UX has to account for emotional and aesthetic variables alongside the functional and informative uses of your website. While aspects like usability can be measured, a lot of the other parts of the user experience aren’t so easily quantified—how a user feels, how well your site meets their needs, etc.
In the end, producing a great user experience means focusing on making your site visitors’ experience as smooth and useful as possible.
To create a stellar UX that truly works for your business, your site needs to:
- Employ compelling copy that gives users direct access to the information they need
- Be intuitively designed so users can quickly and easily navigate
- Present your brand and identity in a way that provokes positive emotions
- Provide easy-to-find content that is presented in order of importance
- Be accessible to people with disabilities
- Use a consistent tone and reliable sources to build trust
- Be optimized to make use of device-specific options like swiping on touch screens or hover options on desktops
- Load fast with pages that don’t time out
- Be free of errors, broken links or buttons that don’t go where users expect
- Offer a robust search capability with useful links
Powerful UX is a marriage of skilled coding, great writing, inspired design, and impeccable market research. Getting it right takes attention to detail and a real dedication to your clients’ needs and expectations.
Your website visitors need to not only be able to easily use your website, but enjoy doing it. Defining the perfect user experience is more of a long game than it is a quick fix. With the right focus, you’ll be able to make informed decisions about your website’s design, organization and copy. With your finger on the pulse of your specific market, those changes will get you closer and closer to answering all your users’ needs.