Engineering Automation Nirvana
As I think back on my career as a desktop support technician and then an infrastructure/network architect, I realize I was robotic in my routines. I would immediately start engaging any task by using reactive tools to navigate the anatomy of OSes, hardware and the network systems, leveraging a checklist of possibilities in my head that had been built up over the years. The faster I could get the job done, the more in demand I found myself. And with that, the needs started to get more complex and time-consuming.
Every day, the same problems came across my desk. Everything needed a solution “ASAP,” which numbed me to the true severity of things. The velocity at which old/new problems would hit my email or voicemail made me so reactive that I ceased to worry about the quality of customer service. Instead, my life centered around completing the task at hand and somehow, I still felt like I was drowning.
Then I had an epiphany. Why not automate my way out of the jobs absorbing the majority of my time? As an engineer and a problem solver, I saw that they were keeping me prisoner and preventing personal growth and greater responsibility. Creating a solution would not only allow me to grow professionally, but it could also return my personal time. I could play Quake, Unreal Tournament and Half-Life.
Don’t judge. My addiction with that is now controlled.
Fifteen years later, I’m still continuing my journey towards enlightenment. At LabTech Software, brilliant developers, real customers and field-tested leaders are teaming up to engineer peace of mind for IT techs worldwide. We believe that every modern IT support application should enable control and automation. It’s like yin and yang. You shouldn’t ever have one without the other. Automation is the secret to operational efficiency, reducing waste, balancing work with life, and increasing profitability.
And it is LabTech’s goal to achieve Automation Nirvana.
Beyond the marketing hype and umbrella term usage, you can find a simplified path to Automation Nirvana. At LabTech Software, we follow it, practice it and evolve it as our journey continues.
- Automate repetitive or manual system management/maintenance activities
- Intelligent automation dynamically detects roles, types of assets and automatically applies a tailored set of out-of-the-box policies per device
- Intelligent automation reacts to any type of event condition, thresholds and instantly executes logic to alert, remediate or preempt downtime
- Synchronize series of automated bi-directional actions by intelligently interfacing with multiple business critical systems
- Automate everywhere with a native open-ended scripting engine that is adaptable to create whatever logic your imagination can conjure
Some would call this level of automation LabTech’s brand of “AI.” Is there another hidden path in automation to discover? Enlighten me and the rest of your peers! How do you use LabTech or other solutions to achieve a state of Automation Nirvana?